Re: plpgsql errorcodes

От Robert Wimmer
Тема Re: plpgsql errorcodes
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
>From: Andreas Kretschmer <andreas_kretschmer@despammed.com>
>To: pgsql-interfaces@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] plpgsql errorcodes
>Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:52:00 +0100
>
>begin  "Robert Wimmer" <seppwimmer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > i want the DB functionality to be done by the server. this means i want
> > write functions like
>
> > CREATE FUNCTION insert_any(....) RETURNS INT AS '
> > BEGIN
>
> > END; '
> > LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'
>
> > returning an errorcode so i can map this errorcode to a message for the
>user
> > of the client. and i want to do this on the server without  using any
>
>You can use RAISE to generate a error.
>
>end
>Andreas

hi andreas,

RAISE NOTICE wouldnt help, because it would never be executed if a runtime
error occurs. a short example.

CREATE TABLE dummy (  id SERIAL ...  name VARCHAR(20) ,  code INT CONSTRAINT codeNotUnique UNIQUE, first DATE);

-- this function controls data before inserting
CREATE FUNCTION  insert_dummy(TEXT, TEXT, TEXT) RETURNS INTEGER AS '
DECLARE dat DATE;
BEGIN   dat := CAST($3 AS DATE);  -- if an error occurs execution will be stopped i cant drop any notice  -- i would
liketodo something like  if ERROR != 0 THEN RETURN -1; END IF;   -- cannot convert to date  INSERT INTO dummy(name,
code,first) VALUES($1,$2,$3); if CONSTRAINT-ERROR = codeNotUnique THEN RETURN -2 END IF; -- you cant do that, you have
todo the following -- the SELECT will be done again internal from psql SELECT INTO tmp * FROM dummy WHERE code =
CAST($2AS INTEGER); IF FOUND THEN  RETURN -2 END IF; -- everything is OK RETURN 0;

END; '
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

my problem is, all plpgsql does is fine.  but you do not get any errorcode
during the function.
and outside the function the errormessages cannot be used the generate a
usefull errorcode.
its just some english text.

i hope you can understand what i am talking about,

bye sepp

Sie wollen unterwegs am Handy Nachrichten von Messenger-Freunden erhalten?
http://www.msn.at/msnmobile/