Re: Windows build issues

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Windows build issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 00:14, Brar Piening <brar@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:45:25 +0200, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> So per your experience, all we really need to do is to define what the
>> *max* level of the Windows SDK we can use is, to make sure people
>> don't get the VS2010 compiler instead?
>>
>> (And adding the note that VS2010 isn't supported with or without the
>> platform sdk)
>
> Yes, v6.0-v7.0 will work, v7.0a(=VS 2010) and v7.1 will not work.

Right. Thanks for confirming!

I've applied a patch that specifies this. I also picked out the part
of Peters patch that included notes about GnuWin32, but left the parts
that rewrote things to recommend Visual C++ Express.

>> Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't list which version of the compilers are
>> included...
>>
> Actually the VS 2010 compilers (and those of the associated Windows SDK's)
> work fine for building postgres. They produce quite a few additional
> warnings that I already mentioned
> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-01/msg00118.php) but the
> product seems to work fine.
>
> The problem with VS 2010 (and the associated Windows SDK's) is the fact that
> MS dropped VCBuild.exe and now uses MSBuild.exe to build Visual C++ Projects
> so the generated build files don't work any longer. (see
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb531344.aspx)

Right. From the perspective of the *end user*, however, that means it
doesn't work :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/