Re: [HACKERS] Re: New Canadian nonprofit for trademark, postgresql.org domain, etc.

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: New Canadian nonprofit for trademark, postgresql.org domain, etc.
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Re: New Canadian nonprofit for trademark, postgresql.org domain, etc.  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Gilberto Castillo Martínez
<gilberto.castillo@etecsa.cu> wrote:
> Josh,
>
> This would imply improvement in the terms of the U.S. embargo on Cuba.
>
> What would be real beneficial to all regional communities.

I wouldn't get overly optimistic about that - the purpose of this is a
bit less "sweeping" than you may be thinking.

The trademarks and domain names that exist are already, today, held in
Canada, so this isn't a "move of everything to Canada."

If the corporation became *really active* in extra senses (e.g. -
handling donations, operating events), that would add some Canadian
activity that doesn't exist today, but it's not clear that it would
necessarily get "really active" that way.

And it is quite possible that such activity would be pretty
Canada-specific, as the legalities of doing things in foreign
countries are always discouragingly complicated.

Adding regional activity is typically a good thing, but trying to
cross borders is always a complicating factor, even under ideal
circumstances.