Re: Extensions Dependency Checking

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Extensions Dependency Checking
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 11:45 AM, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
> But I'm assuming that at some point there's going to be something a bit more robust: specifically, requiring a
minimumversion, perhaps something like:

>    requires = 'foo 1.0, bar 0.31.4'

Or maybe:

requires = 'foo = 1.0, bar >= 0.31.4'

> * I think we're going to need a formal version string spec for extensions.

I agree.

> * If that's true, I think it should be specified *now*, before extensions are in the wild, so that we don't end up
withthe legacy version string nightmares that Perl modules suffer from.

I think I agree with this, too.

> * If we do adopt a spec, I think it should reflect the PostgreSQL core version strings as closely as possible, and
shouldbe fully compatible with them.

I am less sure about this one.

> * So it might be worth looking at semver or something similar to integrate.

No.  It's too late to be monkeying with this.  I think for 9.1 we will
need to content ourselves with setting a good precedent, rather than
enforcing it programatically.  It's not going to work to insist on all
numeric version strings anyway, because we've already got this 'FROM
unpackaged' bit floating around.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: GUC assign hooks (was Re: wal_buffers = -1 and SIGHUP)
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Extensions Dependency Checking