Re: Performance advice for a new low(er)-power server

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Performance advice for a new low(er)-power server
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> There are already three layers involved here:
>
> -Database shared_buffers cache
> -Operating system read/write cache
> -RAID controller cache
>
> I would be skeptical that adding a fourth one near the bottom of this stack
> is likely to help a lot.  And you're adding a whole new layer of difficult
> to test reliability issues, too.  Overly complicated storage solutions tend
> to introduce complicated failures that corrupt your data in unexpected ways.

Plus each layer is from a different provider.  The drive manufacturers
point to the RAID controller maker, the RAID controller people point
at the SSDs you're using, and so on...

Сообщение: Re: Performance advice for a new low(er)-power server
Сообщение: Re: Performance advice for a new low(er)-power server