Re: MMAP Buffers

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: MMAP Buffers
Дата
Re: MMAP Buffers  (Radosław Smogura <rsmogura@softperience.eu>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Radosław Smogura
<rsmogura@softperience.eu> wrote:
> Each process has simple "mirror" of shared descriptors.
>
> I "believe" that modifications to buffer content may be only done when holding
> exclusive lock (with some simple exceptions) (+ MVCC), actually I saw only two
> things that can change already loaded data and cause damage, you have
> described (setting hint bits during scan, and vacuum - 1st may only cause, I
> think, that two processes will ask for same transaction statuses <except
> vacuum>, 2nd one is impossible as vacumm requires exclusive pin). When buffer
> tag is changed the version of buffer is bumped up, and checked against local
> version - this about reading buffer.

Yes, an exclusive lock is required for substantive content changes.
But if vacuum cleaning up the buffer is an issue for your patch, then
it's probably also a problem if someone grabs an exclusive content
lock and deletes the tuple (by setting XMAX) and some other backend
later sees the old buffer contents after having in the meanwhile taken
a new snapshot; or if likewise someone grabs an exclusive-lock, adds a
tuple, and then your backend takes a new snapshot and then sees the
old buffer contents.  Basically, any time someone grabs an
exclusive-lock and releases it, it's necessary for all observers to
see the updated contents by the time the exclusive lock is released.

> In other cases after obtaining lock check is done if buffer has associated
> updatable buffer and if local "mirror" has it too, then swap should take
> place.

I think this check would have to be done every time someone
share-locks the buffer, which seems rather expensive.

> Logic about updatable buffers is similar to "shared buffers", each updatable
> buffer has pin count, and updatable buffer can't be free if someone uses it,
> but in contrast to "normal buffers", updatable buffers doesn't have any
> support for locking etc. Updatable buffers exists only on free list, or when
> associated with buffer.

I don't see how you're going to get away with removing buffer locks.
They exist for a reason, and adding mmap() to the mix is going to
require MORE locking, not less.

> In future, I will change version to shared segment id, something like
> relation's oid + block, but ids will have continuous numbering 1,2,3..., so I
> will be able to bypass smgr/md during read, and tag version check - this looks
> like faster solution.

I don't understand this part at all.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Сообщение: Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers