Re: Postgres refusing to use >1 core

От Aren Cambre
Тема Re: Postgres refusing to use >1 core
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> Postgres won't use more than 1 CPU core.

One *connection* to PostgreSQL won't directly use more than one
core.  As Merlin suggests, perhaps you're really only running one
query at a time?  The other possibility is that you're somehow
acquiring locks which cause one process to block others.

The "one connection" theory appears correct per prior email, if correctly understood what I was reading.

I guess I need to head back over to the Npgsql folks and see what I am doing wrong?

>    - Core i7 processor--4 physical cores, but OS sees 8 cores
>    via hyper-threading

Most benchmarks I've seen comparing hyper-threading show that
PostgreSQL performs better if you don't try to convince it that one
core is actually two different cores.  With HT on, you tend to see
context switching storms, and performance suffers.

> At first, the app pounds all 8 cores.

You really shouldn't let the marketers get to you like that.  You
have four cores, not eight.

I agree. :-) Just trying to express things as my OS sees and reports on them.

Aren

Сообщение: Re: Postgres refusing to use >1 core
Сообщение: Re: Postgres refusing to use >1 core