[PERFORMANCE] expanding to SAN: which portion best to move

От Willy-Bas Loos
Тема [PERFORMANCE] expanding to SAN: which portion best to move
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,

Our database has gotten rather large and we are running out of disk space.
our disks are 15K rpm SAS disks in RAID 10.

We are going to rent some space on a FibreChannel SAN.
That gives us the opportunity to separate the data and the indexes.
Now i thought it would be best to move the indexes to the SAN and leave the data on the disks, since the disks are better at sequential I/O and the SAN will have lots of random I/O since there are lots of users on it.

Is that a wise thing to do?

Cheers,

WBL

--
"Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it." -- George Bernard Shaw