Re: hint bit cache v5

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: hint bit cache v5
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to know if this is a strategy that merits further work...If
>> anybody has time/interest that is.  It's getting close to the point
>> where I can just post it to the commit fest for review.  In
>> particular, I'm concerned if Tom's earlier objections can be
>> satisfied. If not, it's back to the drawing board...
>
> I'm interested in what you're doing here.
>
> From here, there's quite a lot of tuning possibilities. It would be
> very useful to be able to define some metrics we are interested in
> reducing and working out how to measure them.
>
> That way we can compare all the different variants of this to see
> which way of doing things works best.

thanks for that!  I settled on this approach because the downside
cases should hopefully be pretty limited.  The upside is a matter of
debate although fairly trivial to demonstrate synthetically.

I'm looking for some way of benchmarking the benefits in non-simulated
fashion.  We desperately need something like a performance farm (as
many many others have mentioned).

merlin