Re: Need suggestion

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Need suggestion
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Esmin Gracic <esmin.gracic@gmail.com> wrote:
> another option is using sqlite for storing images. All data is in single
> file. (or files if you organize it that way) easier backup etc... you have
> some db benefits and retaining solid speed vs file system. Haven't used
> this, but seems as viable option to explore.

My postgres database is stored on a single file as well...on my
workstation it's /dev/sda2.  Using a loopback device I could create a
classic file.  Point being, having a single file doesn't eliminate or
simplify fragmentation and sync issues -- it just moves them from one
place to another.

sqlite has fundamentally different operational characteristics due to
it's architecture. It is unsuited for problems where a multi-user
database is typically the tool of choice for a number of reasons.  For
example, sqlite's locking model is exceptionally crude by comparison,
and intentionally so.  Being able to run inside an applications's
process is a huge asset though.

merlin