Re: Encryption For Specific Column- Where to store the key

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Encryption For Specific Column- Where to store the key
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 3:35 AM, Manuel Gysin
<manuel.gysin@quantum-bytes.com> wrote:
> I can trust the dba. But while someone gain access, he can control everything and could easily extend his rights to
dba.
> An other way with client side encryption/decryption should be possible with deployed certificates and keys, but so
onlythe user has access to the data.

With all due respect, I don't think you can trust the dba.  People are
always the weakest link in any security chain.

Don't think of the specific person, but more the role involved and
what data that person should be allowed to see.  Imagine explaining to
your customers that certain of your personnel will have access to
credit card numbers or other highly sensitive information.  Imagine
explaining it to an auditor.  OTOH, maybe your security expectations
are a little too high -- it's always a tradeoff between security and
usability (this is why we don't encrypt addresses).

If you are talking about the specific case of credit card number
processing, there are strict protocols that have to be followed in
order to be able to do that.  You must submit to an audit in order to
be able to do that (google pci compliance).

Password hashing is another thing -- randomly chosen defenses (like
repeat hashing or combining algorithms) are, IMNSHO, useless.  Better
to use salt and, if necessary, do not do the hashing or store the salt
on the server.

merlin

Сообщение: Re: Constraint to ensure value does NOT exist in another table?
Сообщение: Re: Constraint to ensure value does NOT exist in another table?