Re: Incoming/Sent traffic data

От Israel Ben Guilherme Fonseca
Тема Re: Incoming/Sent traffic data
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Interesting,

I don't know about the java implementation but psycopg2 is on top of libpq, so that's why the SSL compressing is working.

--

I didn't measure the CPU consumption of compressing/encrypting the data, but 8 times less traffic looks like a good performance boost since (I think) network is usually the bottleneck for web systems.

Is there any plan to support it? And if not is there a place to put this as a feature request (or is this thread automatically a feature request)?

Thanks again for all the help,

Israel

2011/5/13 Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>
Israel Ben Guilherme Fonseca <israel.bgf@gmail.com> wrote:

> But here is the question, does the SSL compress the data too?

It can, if that is negotiated properly:
This makes sense, because any attempt to compress binary encrypted
data will not buy much.

> I enabled the self-signed ssl mode for the java test, and It was
> indeed encrypted, but the traffic was still "big", differently to
> the python version.
>
> Any Ideas?

Apparently the JDBC driver isn't attempting to negotiate
compression.  I don't know how hard that would be to change.

-Kevin

Сообщение: Re: Incoming/Sent traffic data
Сообщение: Re: Incoming/Sent traffic data