Re: Input and Output data traffic

От Israel Ben Guilherme Fonseca
Тема Re: Input and Output data traffic
Дата
Re: Input and Output data traffic
Список psycopg
I'm not with java code right now, but the python one is this:

    def inserir(self, curso):
        cursor = self.conn.cursor()
        cursor.execute("""insert into Curso(area, carga_horaria, ementa, nome)
                          values(%s, %s, %s, %s)""",
                          (curso.area, curso.carga_horaria, curso.ementa, curso.nome))
        cursor.close()
        self.conn.commit()

- Simple insert, without returning.
- With a proxy between application and database i measured the quantity of transfered data.
- Executed 1000 times.

Note: I tried to reuse the same cursor (instead of creating a new one every time) and didn't get any significant change.

About server side cursors, I thought that it would only matter for select statements. Wouldn't? Is it possible to implement this differently?

2011/5/11 Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net>
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 08:18:40AM -0300, Israel Ben Guilherme Fonseca wrote:

> LOL, sorry I wasn't explicit in my text. But i did the same test with
> psycopg2 too. :P

:-)       That makes better sense now.

> "For simple inserts/updates/deletes i got a difference of about 15% between
> sent and received data."

> If someone could say: "well, sent/received data should be significantly
> different and there is something wrong there", or "no it's normal". That
> would be helpful.

It very much depends on the exact queries used:

       1) INSERT INTO my_table (a, b) VALUES (1, 2);

       2) INSERT INTO my_table (a, b) VALUES (1, 2) RETURNING a, b;

I would expect a lot more data to be returned with 2) than
with 1).

(That difference in testing setup does not explain the
differences between drivers, though, if one assumes you've
been using the very same queries with each.)

The other thing is that one driver may be using server-side
cursors while another driver will use client-side cursors.
The latter will transfer a lot more data.

I think you'd have to be more specific about the exact
testing methodology to get useful advice.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346