Re: Unlogged tables, persistent kind

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Unlogged tables, persistent kind
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> IMHO deleting all the data is a surprising option that will
> cause many people to curse us. I don't see preserving some of the data
> as being worse.

What possible damage to you want to recover from?

Without WAL logging after a software crash it's possible for update
chains to be broken, for multiple copies of the same tuple to be
visible, for some tuples to disappear but not others, etc.

And without checksums after a hardware crash it'll be possible for
pages to be torn resulting in tuple pointers that land in the middle
of nowhere or tuples that start off fine but are half overwritten with
unrelated garbage.

--
greg