Re: Slow count(*) again...

От Scott Carey
Тема Re: Slow count(*) again...
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Oct 11, 2010, at 7:02 PM, Scott Carey wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2010, at 10:14 AM, Mladen Gogala wrote:
>

>> SQL> show parameter db_file_multi
>>
>> NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
>> ------------------------------------ -----------
>> ------------------------------
>> db_file_multiblock_read_count        integer     16
>> SQL> alter session set db_file_multiblock_read_count=1;
>>
>> Session altered.
>> SQL> select count(*) from ni_occurrence;
>>
>> COUNT(*)
>> ----------
>> 402062638
>>
>> Elapsed: 00:08:20.88
>> SQL> alter session set db_file_multiblock_read_count=128;
>>
>> Session altered.
>>
>> Elapsed: 00:00:00.50
>> SQL>  select count(*) from ni_occurrence;
>>
>> COUNT(*)
>> ----------
>> 402062638
>>
>> Elapsed: 00:02:17.58
>>

>> In other words, when I batched the sequential scan to do 128 blocks I/O,
>> it was 4 times faster than when I did the single block I/O.
>> Does that provide enough of an evidence and, if not, why not?
>>

> Did you tune the linux FS read-ahead first?  You can get large gains by doing that if you are on ext3.
> blockdev --setra 2048 <device>

Scratch that, if you are using DirectIO, block read-ahead does nothing.  The default is 128K for buffered I/O
read-ahead.

> would give you a 1MB read-ahead.  Also, consider XFS and its built-in defragmentation.  I have found that a longer
livedpostgres DB will get extreme
> file fragmentation over time and sequential scans end up mostly random.  On-line file defrag helps tremendously.
>
>> It maybe so, but slow sequential scan is still the largest single
>> performance problem of PostgreSQL. The frequency with which that topic
>> appears on the mailing lists should serve as a good evidence for that. I
>> did my best to prove my case.
>
> I'm not sure its all the I/O however.  It seems that Postgres uses a lot more CPU than other DB's to crack open a
tupleand inspect it.  Testing on unindexed tables with count(*) I can get between 200MB and 800MB per second off disk
maxwith full cpu utilization (depending on the average tuple size and contents).   This is on a disk array that can do
1200MB/sec.  It always feels dissapointing to not be able to max out the disk throughput on the simplest possible
query.