Re: Performance

От Ogden
Тема Re: Performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Apr 12, 2011, at 4:09 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> Dne 12.4.2011 20:28, Ogden napsal(a):

>>> I guess it is. What really matters with those cost variables is the
>>> relative scale - the original values
>>>
>>> seq_page_cost = 0.02
>>> random_page_cost = 0.03
>>> cpu_tuple_cost = 0.02
>>>
>>> suggest that the random reads are almost as expensive as sequential
>>> reads (which usually is not true - the random reads are significantly
>>> more expensive), and that processing each row is about as expensive as
>>> reading the page from disk (again, reading data from disk is much more
>>> expensive than processing them).
>>>
>>> So yes, the current values are much more likely to give good results.
>>>
>>> You've mentioned those values were recommended on this list - can you
>>> point out the actual discussion?
>>>

>> Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2010-09/msg00169.php is how I first played with those values...
>>

> OK, what JD said there generally makes sense, although those values are
> a bit extreme - in most cases it's recommended to leave seq_page_cost=1
> and decrease the random_page_cost (to 2, the dafault value is 4). That
> usually pushes the planner towards index scans.
>
> I'm not saying those small values (0.02 etc.) are bad, but I guess the
> effect is about the same and it changes the impact of the other cost
> variables (cpu_tuple_cost, etc.)
>
> I see there is 16GB of RAM but shared_buffers are just 4GB. So there's
> nothing else running and the rest of the RAM is used for pagecache? I've
> noticed the previous discussion mentions there are 8GB of RAM and the DB
> size is 7GB (so it might fit into memory). Is this still the case?
>
> regards
> Tomas

Thomas,

By decreasing random_page_cost to 2 (instead of 4), there is a slight performance decrease as opposed to leaving it
justat 4. For example, if I set it 3 (or 4), a query may take 0.057 seconds. The same query takes 0.144s when I set
random_page_costto 2. Should I keep it at 3 (or 4) as I have done now?

Yes there is 16GB of RAM but the database is much bigger than that. Should I increase shared_buffers?

Thank you so very much

Ogden