Re: pg_dump -Fd and compression level

От Marc Mamin
Тема Re: pg_dump -Fd and compression level
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> After our last upgrade, we've noticed a 10-20% size increase of our dump size.
>> This comes from our backup scripts were pg_dump was called without setting -Z
>>
>> So it seems, that this fix did modify the default compression to use:
>> http://michael.otacoo.com/postgresql-2/pg_dump-directory-format-compression/
>>
>> not sure if this is expected or if this commit accidently changed the default compression, setting it too low.
>>
>> moreover, the doc is somewhat unclear here as it mentions all formats but the directory one:
>>
>> -Z 0..9
>> --compress=0..9
>>
>>      Specify the compression level to use. Zero means no compression.
>>      For the custom archive format, this specifies compression of individual
>>      table-data segments, and the default is to compress at a moderate level.
>>      For plain text output, setting a nonzero compression level causes the entire
>>      output file to be compressed, as though it had been fed through gzip;
>>      but the default is not to compress.
>>      The tar archive format currently does not support compression at all.
>>
>> shouldn't that be changed to
>>
>>    - For the custom archive format
>>    + For the directory and custom archive formats
>>

>What did you upgrade from/to?

9.3.6 to 9.3.9

this is bound to this 9.3.7 fix:
"In pg_dump, fix failure to honor -Z compression level option together with -Fd (Michael Paquier)"

I understand that the modification is wishfull, but the change has nevertheless a non negligable impact.
This had increased our backup repository of about 1TB within a few weeks if we hadn't noticed it.

regards,

Marc mamin