pg_dump -Fd and compression level

От Marc Mamin
Тема pg_dump -Fd and compression level
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

After our last upgrade, we've noticed a 10-20% size increase of our dump size.
This comes from our backup scripts were pg_dump was called without setting -Z

So it seems, that this fix did modify the default compression to use:
http://michael.otacoo.com/postgresql-2/pg_dump-directory-format-compression/

not sure if this is expected or if this commit accidently changed the default compression, setting it too low.

moreover, the doc is somewhat unclear here as it mentions all formats but the directory one:

-Z 0..9
--compress=0..9
   Specify the compression level to use. Zero means no compression.    For the custom archive format, this specifies
compressionof individual    table-data segments, and the default is to compress at a moderate level.    For plain text
output,setting a nonzero compression level causes the entire    output file to be compressed, as though it had been fed
throughgzip;    but the default is not to compress.    The tar archive format currently does not support compression at
all.
shouldn't that be changed to    - For the custom archive format + For the directory and custom archive formats
best regards,

Marc Mamin