Re: [Bulk] General advice on database/web applications

От John DeSoi
Тема Re: [Bulk] General advice on database/web applications
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mar 27, 2006, at 4:23 PM, Mark Feller wrote:

> Maybe a synch is done between
> webserver database and main database every five minutes, where the
> main
> database pulls any new orders, and pushes any updated part lists,
> pricing
> etc. to the webserver db?

I have implemented a design like this and it seems to work very well.
The main disadvantage, as already mentioned, is that it is a lot more
work than having one database. In my case, the internal database was
not PostgreSQL so I was going to have separate databases anyway.
Syncing is time based (internal database contacts the PostgreSQL web
database, never the other way around), but you could also setup a
persistent connection and use LISTEN/NOTIFY to handle events
immediately.

In addition to some possible security security benefits, the other
advantage is redundancy. If the internal system is undergoing
maintenance or is down for some other reason, the web system is not
impacted.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL