Re: pgAdmin enhancement request.

От Yan, Shawn
Тема Re: pgAdmin enhancement request.
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi Dave,

Although it's not the answer I'm expecting, but it do make things clear. I will check with Greenplum Engineer, see if
wecan push this forward from Greenplum side.

Regards,
Shawn Yan
Technical Support Engineer

-----Original Message-----
From: pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Dave Page
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 6:02 PM
To: Yan, Shawn
Cc: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] pgAdmin enhancement request.

Hi

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Yan, Shawn <Shawn.Yan@emc.com> wrote:
> Hi pgAdmin team,
>

> May I request an enhancement request for pgAdmin tool?  We are the
> support team for Greenplum product. It’s found when using pgAdmin tool
> to connect Greenplum database, this tool would automatically query the
> Greenplum catalog tables, like ‘pg_class’. But the query generated
> from pgAdmin tool have a very high cost. This high cost query would
> cause customer with resource queue control (max cost limit) unable to use pgAdmin tool.

I'm certainly not against the idea of changing those queries in principle (they were written that way for historic
reasonsthat aren't applicable any more I believe), however they are constructed in a way that would make this a
non-trivialtask that would require a lot of testing against the dozen or so database versions we support as it would
likelyrequire a lot of restructuring of version specific code.

This is because those queries are built with a lot of if-then-else blocks that test for different server versions and
types.I suspect this is not something that any of the regular developers are likely to find to do in the foreseeable
future;there are certainly higher priorities for most of us.

If one of the Greenplum team can work on this, it would certainly make it more likely to happen promptly.

As a related note - although I haven't mentioned anything on list yet, I've been wondering if we should drop Greenplum
supportfrom pgAdmin in the future. We haven't had any contributions from Greenplum in years, and whilst new features
arenot a requirement for us to maintain support, we certainly do need Greenplum users (from EMC or

otherwise) to help with testing of new versions of pgAdmin - right now, we have no idea if pgAdmin works at all with
thelatest versions of Greenplum. If you can pass my concerns onto the relevant people in EMC, maybe we can improve that
situation.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com