Re: Windows XP to Win 10 migration issue

От Scott Mead
Тема Re: Windows XP to Win 10 migration issue
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> On Dec 9, 2017, at 11:11, Dale Seaburg <kg5lt@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> I have a database in Windows XP (old PC), postgresql 8.4.5 which needs to be migrated to Windows 10 Pro (new PC).
>
> Now, for the bad news, the XP PC, when I powered down, before doing any backup or database unload, would not power
backup.  I will be attempting to get the PC fixed for that.  In the meantime, I removed the old PC HD, installing in a
SATAto USB box and I installed the same version of Postgresql (8.4.5) on the Win 10 machine, thinking I could simply
copythe data folder from the XP's HD to the Win 10's HD into the appropriate folder (C:/.../8.4.5/).  I did the copy of
thedata folder, after renaming the new, unused data folder to preserve it).  I stopped the postgres service, made the
copy,and attempted to restart the postgres service.  No Go!  Would not start.  As a double-check, I renamed the copied
datafolder to something else and renamed the preserved data folder back to it's original name, and the service
restartedjust fine.

> So, without being able to backup or unload (dump?) the original database on the original PC, what would be the best
wayto move data to the new PC?  Or, IS there any way to do this, without reviving the old XP, PC?

I’m guessing that the old machine was 32 but and the New is 64?  They have to match. You could always setup a 32 bit
VM.It must be 32 bit windows (if that’s what the original was )

От: James Keener
Сообщение: Re: PG Schema to be used as log and monitoring store
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Future of PlPython2