Re: pgsql-server/src backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr ...

От Chris Watson
Тема Re: pgsql-server/src backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr ...
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On Jan 27, 2004, at 6:25 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Perhaps more to the point: all this is predicated on an assumption no
> longer particularly valid, which is that the kernel's ideas about disk
> write scheduling matter at all.  A decent SCSI disk drive will pre-empt
> the kernel's ideas anyway by absorbing as many pending writes as it can
> and then doing its own write scheduling.  fsync won't affect the
> drive's
> choices in the least, only allow us to find out when the drive is done.
>
>             regards, tom lane
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Perhaps totally unrelated, as i've only read the last couple of posts
on this, but what does Postfix (the MTA) do? How does it handle this?
I trust Wietse implicitly to DTRT. If it were me I would ask him how he
handles the writes or at least check the Postfix src. *shrug* Just an
idea.

Chris Watson
M.M.
Bestor G. Brown #433