Re: dbt2 & opteron performance

От Denis Lussier
Тема Re: dbt2 & opteron performance
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Mark,

Great stuff.  One of the things that led me to PostgreSQL a couple years
back was the exceptional OLTP performance I was able to wring out of it
when running my own internal benchmarks against it.

I have a couple questions (that I apologize if they are answered
elsewhere).  Note that the reason I ask is that I want to make sure we
are getting close to comparing apples to apples with how the commercial
companies "legally" run their tpc benchmarks.

1 - R we using 15,000 RPM SCSI drives mostly configured together as
RAID-0.  Also what about write-ahead logging and background writing and
grouping transactions and ...

2 - I forget the brand off the top of my head, but, I don't think that
most commercial tpc tests use Adaptec controllers.

3 - R we yet testing with dual core Opterons (or at least two dual core
opterons)

It's perfectly reasonable if because of cost considerations the answer
is "not yet" to my questions above.  For #1 above, a lot of people say
"but that's a bad idea...".  To that I say yeah, but... it's the only
way to compare apples to apples when comparing Postgres to published
benchmarks commercial rdbms performance.

Please email me privately if there is some way EntepriseDB may be able
to help.

--Denis Lussier Chief Architect and Chairman EnterpriseDB Corporation

http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-015/layout-6.html