Re: union of types in a different category

От Brent Wood
Тема Re: union of types in a different category
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I prefer the explicit approach used by Postgres - MYSQL is simpler, but I'd say simplistic in this area. While it can
automatethe cating of tpes/catories of variable, it doesn't always do it the way I want - so I need to be explicit
anyway.

In your second use case, which fails - do you want numerics cast to strings or vice versa? It can make difference, so
toget what you want rather than otherwise, I prefer to be explicit. in either Postgres or MySQL.

Interestingly - & i'm curious as to why"

SELECT '1' UNION SELECT 2;
 ?column?
----------
        1
        2
(2 rows)

SELECT '1' UNION SELECT 1;
 ?column?
        1
(1 row)

I didn't think UNION did an explicit "distinct" - if that is what is happening?

Brent Wood

Brent Wood

Programme leader: Environmental Information Delivery
NIWA
DDI:  +64 (4) 3860529