Re: what Linux to run

От Brent Wood
Тема Re: what Linux to run
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hmm...

I tend to _mostly_ run workstations rather than servers, & pick my distro to suit my application needs.

My workplace is a SLES site, & I use Open Suse. Given most of my Postgres databases are in fact PostGIS databases, and
needto work with a variety of other spatial data & GIS related apps, then I have a set of dependencies to work with for
everyinstall. Postgres, Postgis, GEOS, Proj, GDAL, mapserver, Java, python. QGIS, GMT, etc.

I have liased with the package maintainers who look after the Suse GEO repository, and they are generally able to build
anyrequired package, for both server * workstation distros (SLED, SLES, OpenSuse).

Having robust packages built by people who know more than I do about this area is core to my selection of distro. While
I'maware that Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora also have GIS related repositories, the OPenSuse ones have, for me at least, the
bestmix of currency & stability, & fantastic support.

If your goal is to run a robust Postgres server, find the mainstream  distro which provides what you want out of the
box,so you can run the database, not wrestle with compiling it every time something changes. Only consider compiling
yourown applications if there is no such distro, or you really want to have that level of control & ownership of the
system.

Also, if you are running a VM as your server, then under Xen commercial tools, for example, SLES is fully supported by
thehypervisor. Ubuntu isn't. Makes choosing easy...

YMMV :-)

Brent Wood

GIS/DBA consultant
NIWA