Re: PG_DUMP very slow because of STDOUT ??

От Andras Fabian
Тема Re: PG_DUMP very slow because of STDOUT ??
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Now, I have found an unorthodox way, to make a slow machine run COPY-to-STDOUT fast. I empty the cache memory of the
server,which makes "free" in "free -m" jump up to 14 GBytes (well, I just noticed, that most of the memory on the
serveris in "cache" ... up to 22 GBytes). I just entered:

    " sync;echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches"

Running the COPY-to-STDOUT test after this immediately went through in a snap (2 1/2 minutes). I also see, that
somethingin relation with the file is "nicely" mapped into cache memory, because as soon as I delete the file (with
"rm"),that immediately frees up 3 GBytes of the cache.

This seems to prove, that a memory issue is/was behind the slow down. But still the question remains, why and how this
canhappen? I mean, at some point the memory manager most have taken a very wrong decision, if this is the result of its
"normal"work ... And how the writing trough the socket affects this, I don't understand (because I still see the case,
whena normal COPY-to-FILE didn't slow down at the same time when COPY-to-STDOUT was crouching).

So, potentially, maybe ... as a quick fix I could clean caches in my backup script that starts each night. But is this
asafe idea at all? Or could there be adverse implications (yes, of course, some queries that got their data from the
filecache before would now need to repopulate it) ?

Or is there a way to influence the memory manager Linux in a way, that it behaves a bit more conservative (or just
differentin a positive way)?

Andras Fabian