Re: PG_DUMP very slow because of STDOUT ??

От Andras Fabian
Тема Re: PG_DUMP very slow because of STDOUT ??
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I had another observation before your last mail:

I have compared the /proc/pid/sched Stats of a normal and a slow machine. And there were two counters that really
stickedout:
- se.sleep_start
- se.block_start
 On a normal machine, both counter remaind at 0 all the time while doing COPY-to-STDOUT. On a "slow" machine, those
counters- but always only one of them - got some really big numbers while the process was stuck in congestion_wait.

Andras Fabian

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Craig Ringer [mailto:craig@postnewspapers.com.au]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 13. Juli 2010 11:01
An: Andras Fabian
Cc: Tom Lane; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Betreff: Re: AW: [GENERAL] PG_DUMP very slow because of STDOUT ??

On 13/07/2010 4:05 PM, Andras Fabian wrote:
> Craig, thanks for that PS tip (you think, you have used PS for such a long time, but it still has some new tricks
available).

> So, obviously, for some reason we are waiting too much for a backind_device ... which ever it is at the moment.
Because,as I just wrote to Scott Marlowe, the disk system is almost idling (have seen disk utilization on the drive to
whichI write below 1%).

A quick search suggests that most calls into congestion_wait are in the
memory management subsystem, and are involved in situations where the
system is struggling for memory. However, that includes memory consumed
by I/O buffers, writeback for I/O, etc, so it'd also be consistent with
very slow I/O causing write throttling as the system tried to write
already buffered data to disk.

Most other calls are in file system drivers.

At this point I'd be taking a closer look at "vmstat 1" and "iostat 1"
output, plus "top", to see if any interesting clues about system-wide
issues turned up.

I'd also be trying to perform each step of the problem operation in
isolation as much as possible, so as to see if I could find out what
particular part was causing the slowdown. Comparing "\copy" to "COPY ...
TO STDOUT", invoking "COPY ... TO STDOUT" with a standalone backend
writing output to an on disk file and to /dev/null, etc.

> So, the question seems to be, why and where this "idling happens".

You can potentially find out more by getting a trace of the kernel
function call stack for the backend process. The kernel call stack of a
process at any given time can be obtained by reading /proc/$pid/stack .

This will tell you not only what call it's waiting in in the kernel, but
what function(s) called it, and even the code offset within each function.

> Just as a test, I have tried a very simple piping example (which should go trough STDOUT too ... or am I wrong).
> - "dd if=/dev/zero of=file_10GB bs=1024 count=10M" created a  10 GB test file on source drive (sdb)
> - "time cat file_10GB>  /var/tmp/test2.dump" ... pipe the file to target drive (/var/tmp is on sda)

Isn't your issue suspected to be with network transfers over unix
sockets and/or tcp/ip, rather than with pipes?

Try "socat" if you want to test unix socket performance and/or tcp/ip
socket performance. It's an amazing sysadmin/network swiss army knife.

--
Craig Ringer

От: Craig Ringer
Сообщение: Re: PG_DUMP very slow because of STDOUT ??
От: Andras Fabian
Сообщение: Re: PG_DUMP very slow because of STDOUT ??