Re: Suggestions on an update query

От Campbell, Lance
Тема Re: Suggestions on an update query
Список pgsql-performance

From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Gregory
Stark
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 9:05 PM
To: Joshua D. Drake
Cc: Campbell, Lance; pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Suggestions on an update query

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:31:44 -0500
> "Campbell, Lance" <lance@uiuc.edu> wrote:
>
>> I forgot to include an additional parameter I am using in
>> Postgresql.conf:
>>

> O.k. first, just to get it out of the way (and then I will try and
> help). Please do not top post, it makes replying contextually very
> difficult.
>
>> PostgreSql version 8.2.4
>>
>> Memory = 8 Gig
>>
>> CPUs 1 dual core Zeon running at 3.0
>>

> O.k. first you might be grinding through your 20 checkpoint segments
> but in reality what I think is happening is you are doing foreign key
> checks against all of it and slowing things down.

If you're going to berate someone about top-posting perhaps you should
attach
your own commentary to relevant bits of context :P

But the original post didn't include any foreign key constraints. I
suspect
you've guessed it right though. In fact I suspect what's happening is he
doesn't have an index on the referencing column so the foreign key
checks are
doing sequential scans of.

--
  Gregory Stark