How much memory is PostgreSQL using

От: Campbell, Lance
Тема: How much memory is PostgreSQL using
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

How much memory is PostgreSQL using  ("Campbell, Lance", )
 Re: How much memory is PostgreSQL using  (Greg Smith, )
  Re: How much memory is PostgreSQL using  ("Campbell, Lance", )
   Re: How much memory is PostgreSQL using  (Guillaume Lelarge, )

PostgreSQL 8.4.3

OS: Linux Red Hat 4.x

I changed my strategy with PostgreSQL recently to use a large segment of memory for shared buffers with the idea of caching disk blocks.  How can I see how much memory PostgreSQL is using for this?

I tried:

ps aux | grep post | sort –k4

This lists the processes using memory at the bottom.  Are they sharing memory or using individual their own blocks of memory?

When I do top I see that VIRT is the value of my shared buffers plus a tiny bit.  I see %MEM is only 2.4%, 2.6%, 1.0%,1.5%, and 1.1% for all of the running processes.  Do I add these percentages up to see what amount of VIRT I am really using?

Or is there some way to ask PostgreSQL how much memory are you using to cache disk blocks currently?

When you do a PG_DUMP does PostgreSQL put the disk blocks into shared buffers as it runs?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Software Architect/DBA/Project Manager

Web Services at Public Affairs