Re: handling duplicate row exception

От Amar Dhole
Тема Re: handling duplicate row exception
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

Hi Filip,

No not sure 100% when this can happen. This approach will not be possible as in our application we are programmatically handling these cases and going in other route to add the record with increased key.

I am using 9.0.4 version.

Thanks
Amar

From: pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Filip Rembialkowski
Sent: 21 September 2011 20:37
To: Amar Dhole
Cc: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SQL] handling duplicate row exception

Hi

There is no IGNORE_DUP_KEY equivalent in PostgreSQL.

If you are 100% sure that you want to ignore unique key violations, you can wrap your INSERT code in PL/PgSQL block and handle the exception yourself.

I mean:

DO $$
BEGIN
 INSERT INTO foo (bar,baz) SELECT 42, 666;
EXCEPTION WHEN unique_violation THEN RAISE NOTICE 'row skipped';
END;
$$

BTW - which version of PostgreSQL are you using?

Filip