Re: Delphi7, ADO, ODBC and PostgreSQL connection problems: SUCCESS!

От Mikhail Umorin
Тема Re: Delphi7, ADO, ODBC and PostgreSQL connection problems: SUCCESS!
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
Thanks everyone for helping me! Especially, Hiroshi, Noel and Richard!

Following Noel's suggestion I installed pgAdmin (II, 1.6.0). It connected fine and I could see values in the tables
withoutany other changes to client and server PCs. So, I decided to try the same connection string that pgAdmin uses (I
couldconveniently cut and paste it from pgAdmin window: thanks, pgAdmin!) - and it worked! The string was:
Provider=MSDASQL.1;Extended Properties="DRIVER={PostgreSQL};DATABASE=lara;
SERVER=192.168.1.2;PORT=5432;UID=lara;PWD=********;
ReadOnly=0;Protocol=6.4;FakeOidIndex=0;ShowOidColumn=0;
RowVersioning=0;ShowSystemTables=0;ConnSettings=;Fetch=100;
Socket=4096;UnknownSizes=0;MaxVarcharSize=254;
MaxLongVarcharSize=65536;Debug=0;CommLog=0;Optimizer=1;Ksqo=1;
UseDeclareFetch=0;TextAsLongVarchar=1;UnknownsAsLongVarchar=0;
BoolsAsChar=1;Parse=0;CancelAsFreeStmt=0;
ExtraSysTablePrefixes=dd_;LFConversion=1;UpdatableCursors=1;
DisallowPremature=0;TrueIsMinus1=0;BI=0;ByteaAsLongVarBinary=0;
UseServerSidePrepare=0"

I think the problem was that when I specified a file DSN or would build a connection string using Delphi's tools it was
nothandled properly or constructed properly by Delphi's TADOConnection object. So, what OLE DB driver for ODBC would
getwas partially illegal; so, the driver would connect but would not communicate beyond the handshake.

Now, the driver's log contains no errors (so, there was something serious there, Hiroshi). And I am going to try
Richard'ssuggestion: run odbc.sql against the database. But my question is:

Where can I get odbc.sql?

I installed my PostgreSQL 7.3.2 from RPMs (Mandrake 9.1) and it was not in any contrib dirs. I also searched
PostgreSQL,GBorg and Google sites with no success.

Thanks again,

--
Mikhail Umorin
mikeumo@onebox.com