ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size when committing transaction

От Michael Harris
Тема ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size when committing transaction
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello Experts

We have a large-ish (16T) database cluster which were are performing the following sequence on.

  - First we upgrade the whole cluster from pg11 to pg13, using pg_upgrade (this succeeds)

  - Next we run a migration script on each database in the cluster. The migration script
    converts a large number of tables from inheritance based partitioning to declarative
    partitioning. Unfortunately I am not at liberty to share the migration script.

The second step succeeds for most of the databases in the cluster but fails on one of them.

The migration is performed inside a transaction, and during the process of committing the
transaction the following error is thrown:

[2021-08-11 11:27:50 CEST] aue_75@218006 218015@[local] db_vrqv1 ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 1073741824
[2021-08-11 11:27:50 CEST] aue_75@218006 218015@[local] db_vrqv1 STATEMENT:  commit
[2021-08-11 11:27:50 CEST] aue_75@218006 218015@[local] db_vrqv1 WARNING:  AbortTransaction while in COMMIT state

The transaction is rolled back.

I have looked into the error message - it is very low level from the memory manager and
occurs when a memory allocation of >= 1GB is requested. Most of the hits on google for this
error indicate database corruption, however I am not sure this is the case for us as
we have been able to do a complete pg_dump on the database without errors.

We repeated the migration with all postgres debug logging enabled - however this did not
provide any more detail than above.

Luckily this has occurred while we were testing the procedure on a replica of the production
system, not on the actual production system.

We are using pg 13.0. We are currently re-testing this with huge pages disabled (on a hunch)
and after that we plan to re-test it on 13.3.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem, or any suggestions for troubleshooting steps
we could take?

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers
Mike.