RE: BUG #18016: REINDEX TABLE failure

От Richard Veselý
Тема RE: BUG #18016: REINDEX TABLE failure
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay, I was away from computer for a couple of days.

Tom is exactly right. I was just giving you a minimum number of steps to reproduce the issue. That being said, it is
alsoa good idea to give you a bit of a background context and maybe start a broader discussion. However, I don't want
topollute a bug report with an unrelated topic so someone might suggest a more appropriate venue.

In my particular case, I didn't encounter some hardware failure that caused corruption of both TOAST table index and
otherdependent indexes, but instead I didn't have either of them in the first place (hence my suggestion to truncate
themto accurately reproduce my exact setup). So in that sense Michael is also asking a legitimate question of how we
gotto where we are.

I was dissatisfied with storage layer performance, especially during the initial database population, so I rewrote it
formy use case. I'm done with the heap, but for the moment I still rely on PostgreSQL to build indexes, specifically by
usingthe REINDEX TABLE command for its convenience and that's how I discovered this problem with a couple of tables
thathad the required combination of indexes and data to trigger the original issue.

I won't derail this discussion any further, because some people downthread are already working on fixing/improving this
scenario,but there's no shortage of people that suffer from sluggish pg_dump/pg_restore cycle and I imagine there are
anynumber of people that would be interested in improving bulk ingestion which is often a bottleneck for analytical
workloadsas you are well aware. What's the best place to discuss this topic further - pgsql-performance or someplace
else?

Best,
Richard