RE: strange slow query - lost lot of time somewhere

От Jakub Wartak
Тема RE: strange slow query - lost lot of time somewhere
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I do agree that the perf report does indicate that the extra time is taken due to
> some large amount of memory being allocated. I just can't quite see how that
> would happen in Memoize given that
> estimate_num_groups() clamps the distinct estimate as the number of input
> rows, which is 91 in both cases in your problem query.
>
> Are you able to run the Memoize query in psql with \watch 0.1 for a few seconds
> while you do:
>
> perf record --call-graph dwarf --pid <pid> sleep 2
>
> then send along the perf report.
>
> I locally hacked build_hash_table() in nodeMemoize.c to make the hashtable 100
> million elements and I see my perf report for a trivial Memoize query come up
> as:

[..]

> Failing that, are you able to pg_dump these tables and load them into a
> PostgreSQL instance that you can play around with and patch?
> Provided you can actually recreate the problem on that instance.

+1 to what David says, we need a reproducer. In [1] Pavel wrote that he's having a lot of clear_page_erms(), so maybe
thiswill be a little help: I recall having similar issue having a lot of minor page faults and high %sys when raising
work_mem.For me it was different issue some time ago, but it was something like build_hash_table() being used by UNION
recursivecalls -> BuildTupleHashTable() -> .. malloc() -> mmap64().  When mmap() is issued with MAP_ANONYMOUS the
kernelwill zero out the memory (more memory -> potentially bigger CPU waste visible as minor page faults; erms stands
for"Enhanced REP MOVSB/STOSB"; this is on kernel side). The culprit was planner allocating something that wouldn't be
usedlater.

Additional three ways to figure that one (all are IMHO production safe):
a) already mentioned perf with --call-graph dwarf -p PID
b) strace -p PID -e 'mmap' # verify if mmap() NULL is not having MAP_ANONYMOUS flag, size of mmap() request will
somehowmatch work_mem sizing

c) gdb -p PID and then breakpoint for mmap and verify each mmap() # check MAP_ANONYMOUS as above

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRAo5CrF8mpPxMvnBYFSqu4HYDqRsQnLqGphckNHkHosFg%40mail.gmail.com

-J.