Re: How to hint 2 coulms IS NOT DISTINCT FROM each other

От Kim Rose Carlsen
Тема Re: How to hint 2 coulms IS NOT DISTINCT FROM each other
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> The bigger picture here is that if you've designed a data representation
> that requires that a null be considered "equal to" another null, you're
> really going to be fighting against the basic semantics of SQL.  You'd
> be best off to rethink the representation.  We've not seen enough info
> about your requirements to suggest just how, though.

Sometimes I do wake up in the night scared and afraid that I have used NULLs the wrong way
my whole life. I usually use NULLs to denote a value has not been provided. In my dreams I fear
I should have used empty string instead but if that is true, then I no longer know what is right and
wrong :).

In this specific case, its a resource management table. If a resource is not allocated to any
customers, then customer_id is set to null else the customer_id is set.