Re: [HACKERS] Possible spelling fixes

От Piotr Stefaniak
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Possible spelling fixes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017-02-06 10:40, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 02/06/2017 04:50 AM, Josh Soref wrote:
>> NUL-terminated -> NULL-terminated
>
> When we're talking about NUL-terminated strings, NUL refers to the NUL
> ASCII character. NULL usually refers to a NULL pointer. We're probably
> not consistent about this, but in this context, NUL-terminated isn't
> wrong, so let's leave them as they are.

The C standard talks about how "a byte with all bits set to 0, called
the null character" is used to "terminate a character string"; it
mentions '\0' as "commonly used to represent the null character"; and it
also talks about when snprintf() produces "null-terminated output".

It never mentions ASCII in this context; quite intentionally it avoids
assuming ASCII at all, so that a standard-compliant C implementation may
co-exist with other encodings (like EBCDIC).