Bug or misunderstanding w/domains in 7.3devel?

От Joel Burton
Тема Bug or misunderstanding w/domains in 7.3devel?
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Using latest CVS sources with Linux 2.4 i586:

Comparing using domains versus traditional explicit field types.
Here's the control test:

test=# create table t1 (f varchar(5) not null);
CREATE
test=# insert into t1 values ('2');
INSERT 16626 1
test=# select * from t1 where f='2';f
---2
(1 row)

If I create a VARCHAR domain, everything works as expected.

test=# create domain typ varchar(5) not null;
CREATE DOMAIN
test=# create table t2 (f typ);
CREATE
test=# insert into t2 values ('2');
INSERT 16627 1
test=# select * from t2 where f='2';f
---2
(1 row)

Here's a control test for the same thing, except with CHAR:

test=# create table t1 (f char(5) not null);
CREATE
test=# insert into t1 values ('2');
INSERT 16639 1
test=# select * from t1 where f='2';  f
-------2
(1 row)

However, if I create a CHAR domain, I'm unable to query the value from the
table:

test=# create domain typ char(5) not null;
CREATE DOMAIN
test=# create table t2 (f typ);
CREATE
test=# insert into t2 values ('2');
INSERT 16640 1
test=# select * from t2 where f='2';f
---
(0 rows)

Even if I coerce the value to the correct domain:

test=# select * from t2 where f='2'::typ;f
---
(0 rows)

However, this works:

test=# select * from t2 where f='2'::char;  f
-------2
(1 row)

Is this a bug? Is this correct behavior? Am I misunderstanding this?

Thanks!

Joel BURTON | joel@joelburton.com | joelburton.com | aim: wjoelburton
Knowledge Management & Technology Consultant