Re: PostgreSQL Limits and lack of documentation about them.

От Nasby, Jim
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Limits and lack of documentation about them.
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL Limits and lack of documentation about them.  (Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Oct 31, 2018, at 5:22 PM, David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> On 1 November 2018 at 04:40, John Naylor <jcnaylor@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for doing this. I haven't looked at the rendered output yet,
>> but I have some comments on the content.
>>
>> +      <entry>Maximum Relation Size</entry>
>> +      <entry>32 TB</entry>
>> +      <entry>Limited by 2^32 pages per relation</entry>
>>
>> I prefer "limited to" or "limited by the max number of pages per
>> relation, ...". I think pedantically it's 2^32 - 1, since that value
>> is used for InvalidBlockNumber. More importantly, that seems to be for
>> 8kB pages. I imagine this would go up with a larger page size. Page
>> size might also be worth mentioning separately. Also max number of
>> relation file segments, if any.
>
> Thanks for looking at this.
>
> I've changed this and added mention of BLKSIZE.  I was a bit unclear
> on how much internal detail should go into this.

It’s a bit misleading to say “Can be increased by increasing BLKSZ and recompiling”, since you’d also need to re
initdb.Given that messing with BLKSZ is pretty uncommon I would simply put a note somewhere that mentions that these
valuesassume the default BLKSZ of 8192.

>> +      <entry>Maximum Columns per Table</entry>
>> +      <entry>250 - 1600</entry>
>> +      <entry>Depending on column types. (More details here)</entry>
>>
>> Would this also depend on page size? Also, I'd put this entry before this one:
>>
>> +      <entry>Maximum Row Size</entry>
>> +      <entry>1600 GB</entry>
>> +      <entry>Assuming 1600 columns, each 1 GB in size</entry>
>>
>> A toast pointer is 18 bytes, according to the docs, so I would guess
>> the number of toasted columns would actually be much less? I'll test
>> this on my machine sometime (not 1600GB, but the max number of toasted
>> columns per tuple).
>
> I did try a table with 1600 text columns then inserted values of
> several kB each. Trying with BIGINT columns the row was too large for
> the page. I've never really gotten a chance to explore these limits
> before, so I guess this is about the time.

Hmm… 18 bytes doesn’t sound right, at least not for the Datum. Offhand I’d expect it to be the small (1 byte) varlena
header+ an OID (4 bytes). Even then I don’t understand how 1600 text columns would work; the data area of a tuple
shouldbe limited to ~2000 bytes, and 2000/5 = 400.