Re: pg_dump --split patch

От Gurjeet Singh
Тема Re: pg_dump --split patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

On 12/28/2010 04:44 PM, Joel Jacobson wrote:

The problem I see with suffixing a sequence id to the objects with name collision is that one day the dump may name myfunc(int) as myfunc.sql and after an overloaded version is created, say myfunc(char, int), then the same myfunc(int) may be dumped in myfunc-2.sql, which again is non-deterministic.

I agree, good point!
Perhaps abbreviations are to prefer, e.g., myfunc_i, myfunc_i_c, etc to reduce the need of truncating filenames.

I think that's just horrible. Does the i stand for integer or inet? And it will get *really* ugly for type names with spaces in them ...

Do you mean using data type names in filename is a bad idea, or is abbreviating the type names is a bad idea?

Maybe we can compute a hash based on the type names and use that in the file's name?

Regards,
--
gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company