Re: German translation bug

От r d
Тема Re: German translation bug
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Sorry, but server (EN) translates to Server (DE).
Host (EN) translates to Host (DE).
And BTW, most computing terms translate 1:1 English:Deutsch (es hat sich in der Praxis so eingebürgert).

A server is a /role/ which potentially any device can assume, a /host/, OTOH, is a big, "old-style" /computer/ like the IBM S-390, which dwells in caves underneath banks and govt offices and communicates with the world via SNA and 3250 terminals.

Supposing that you refer to the Menu File -> Add Server (english version) and/or to the icon with the plug on the upper-left, I think that the translation is correct.

If a change is to be made at all, may I suggest:

(GERMAN) Verbindung hinzufügen
(English) Add connection

... and the "Server" hierarchy in the tree pane should in this case be renamed "Connections".

I also have the impression that there is a confusion/overlap in the GUI between the "Add connection" and "Connect" functionality, and I tend to think that the icon with the plug on the upper-left should "connect" to any selected (in the tree pane) "Server" object, instead of "adding a connection".

(I agree mostly with Harald)

Jauchz und Holladriööö!

:-) RD 0002