Re: How much do the hint bits help?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: How much do the hint bits help?
Дата
Re: How much do the hint bits help?  (Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> My gut feeling is that a reasonable compromise is to set hint bits like
>> we do today, but don't mark the page as dirty when only hint bits are
>> set. That way you get the benefit of hint bits for tuples that are
>> frequently accessed and stay in buffer cache. But you don't spend any
>> extra I/O to set them.
>
> I think it's far more likely that that could be acceptable than the
> radical method of removing hint bits altogether.
>
> I have not looked into what's wrong with Merlin's test case, but my
> thinking about it goes like this: we know that contention for buffer
> lookup is significant at high loads, despite the facts that the accesses
> are distributed across a lot of independently-usable buffers and we've
> done much work to partition the lookup locks.  If we remove hint bits
> and thereby force an access to clog for every tuple touch, we can expect
> that the contention for clog access will be comparable to the worst case
> for buffer access contention ... except that in many cases, it will be
> distributed across far fewer pages and so the actual interference rate
> will be far higher.  This will make our past experiences with "context
> swap storms" look like a day at the beach.

right.  note I'm not suggesting they they should actually be removed,
at least not yet.  I was just playing around and noticed that the cost
of not having them is not immediately obvious in highly synthetic
tests.  The cost of clog access in best case scenario appears to be
near zero, which I thought was interesting enough to point out.  What
I'm after here is the worst case scenario, how likely it is to happen,
and looking into possible remedies (if any).

I'm going to do lots more testing over the holidays.  I'm fishing for
ideas on good ways to flesh things out more.

merlin

Сообщение: Re: How much do the hint bits help?
Сообщение: Re: How much do the hint bits help?