Re: [BUGS] BUG #5305: Postgres service stops when closing Windows session

От Cristian Bittel
Тема Re: [BUGS] BUG #5305: Postgres service stops when closing Windows session
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Maybe the issue, for the momtent, could be avoided modifying the shared heap for sessions on Windows. But I don't really have idea how much to increase or decrease the values. Try and error? But, inside the opened Windows sessions nothing alerts of a heap exaust so could be unpredictable how much to change the values until the next PostgreSQL service crash...
32-bits: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184802

There are several reports for another services with the same behavior including exit code 128 and a workaround to increase the heap on old Windows versions but the Exit Code 128 seems to apply to Windows 2003 Server x64 also. And seems to be improved in Windows 2008 where heap is not fixed.
https://fogbugz.bitvise.com/default.asp?WinSSHD.1.12888.2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824422

2010/8/31 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Dave Page wrote:
> >>
> >> That doesn't mean that this is desktop heap exhaustion though - just
> >> that it can cause the same effect.
> >
> > Right, but it is the only possible server crash cause we have come up
> > with so far.
>
> Understood - I'm just unconvinced it's the cause - aside from the
> point I made earlier about heap exhaustion being very predictable and
> reproducible (which this issue apparently is not), when the server is
> run under the SCM, it creates a logon session for that service alone
> which has it's own heap allocation which is entirely independent of
> the allocation used by any interactive logon sessions.
>
> So unless there's a major isolation bug in Windows, any desktop heap
> usage in an interactive session for one user should have zero effect
> on a non-interactive session for another user.

Well, the only description that we have ever heard that makes sense is
some kind of heap exhaustion, perhaps triggered by a Windows bug that
doesn't properly track heap allocations sometimes.

Of course, the cause might be aliens, but we don't have any evidence of
that either.  :-|

What we do know is that CreateProcess is returning success, and the
child is exiting with 128 no_such_child, and that logging out can
trigger it sometimes.

--
 Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
 EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com