Re: What Linux edition we should chose?

От Nilesh Govindarajan
Тема Re: What Linux edition we should chose?
Дата
Re: What Linux edition we should chose?  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-general

http://people.planetpostgresql.org/devrim/index.php?/archives/44-How-To-Build-Your-Own-PostgreSQL-and-related-software-RPMs-on-CentOSRHELFedora.html

> I can't see anything except svn co and make build there. Do you still
> need an extensive reading?
>
>> So if you install directly from source without RPM, it won't satisfy
>> the libpq.so dependency, so you cannot install applications using yum.
>> This is not the case with Arch PKGBUILD, because the PKGBUILD is just
>> a bash script.
>
> Now I'm sure that you don't have any idea about PostgreSQL RPM packages:
>
> http://svn.pgrpms.org/browser/rpm/redhat/8.4/compat-postgresql/EL-5
>
> might give you a clue.
>
> You may think that ArchLinux is fine for you, but please pick up correct
> arguments for RPMs first.
>
> Devrim - The RPM Packager
> --
> Devrim GÜNDÜZ
> PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
> PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org
> Community: devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
> http://www.gunduz.org  Twitter: http://twitter.com/devrimgunduz

@Devrim, I may be wrong at sometimes, because I have not done any
qualification research on this. All I have learned from Google and
self experience.
I run my site (see my signature) on a self managed VPS. I was using
the default PGSQL RPM from the fedora repository, the site was getting
way slow. So I compiled all the stuff apache, php and postgresql with
custom gcc flags, which improved performance like hell.
This may not apply to all, its my experience; not an illusion because
I asked other site contributors also about the speed, they said it was
much better.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Facebook: nilesh.gr