Re: pg_rawdump

От Roberto Mello
Тема Re: pg_rawdump
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Stephen R. van den Berg <srb@cuci.nl> wrote:
> Greg Stark wrote:
>
>> But I'm not sure how useful. I mean, you can't really decipher
>>everything properly without the data in the catalog -- and you have to
>>premise this on the idea that you've lost everything in the catalog
>>but not the data in other tables. Which seems like a narrow use case.
>
> It happens, more often than you'd think.  My client had it, I've
> seen numerous google hits which show the same.

It happened to us recently when a customer had disk issues, and we
were able to get the table files back through forensics, but the
control files were not in good shape, and the cluster wouldn't start.

A tool like Stephen is proposing would most likely have helped us
recover at least some or most of the data, I would hope.

Roberto