Re: Why we don't want hints Was: Slow count(*) again...

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Why we don't want hints Was: Slow count(*) again...
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Well, I'm comfortable digging in my heels against doing *lame* hints
> just because "it's what all the other kids are doing," which I think
> is the only thing which would have satisfied the OP on this thread.
> From both on-list posts and ones exchanged off-list with me, it
> seems he was stubbornly resistant to properly tuning the server to
> see if any problems remained, or posting particular problems to see
> how they would be most effectively handled in PostgreSQL.  We
> obviously can't be drawn into dumb approaches because of
> ill-informed demands like that.

Nor was I proposing any such thing.  But that doesn't make "we don't
want hints" an accurate statement.  Despite the impression that OP
went away with, the real situation is a lot more nuanced than that,
and the statement on the Todo list gives the wrong impression, IMHO.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: Why we don't want hints Was: Slow count(*) again...
Сообщение: Re: Why we don't want hints Was: Slow count(*) again...