Re: PG website testing

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: PG website testing
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 4 October 2010 21:58, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
> Thom Brown wrote on 04.10.2010 20:40:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We're currently testing a new javascript change on the PostgreSQL
>> docs.  This is to make sure monospaced fonts still appear at a
>> reasonable size between browsers.  I'd appreciate it if some of you
>> could do some browser testing.  http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/
>> Only docs for 8.3 and below are available.  Please also check the main
>> site for font issues, and post any issues you find here.
>>

> Looks good on Firefox 3.6, Windows XP
>
> But I can't see a big difference to the live documents
>
> In fact the fixed font e.g. on
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ddl-default.html
>
> is a tiny bit bigger than  on
> http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/ddl-default.html
>
> Looking at the CSS, the current live site is configured to use 1.4em for the
> fixed font, whereas your site uses 1.2em so it does make sense that it's a
> little bit large on the live site.

The difference is that the current live documents uses a special CSS
file for some browsers to correct the size difference in monospace
fonts, whereas the new one doesn't use any new CSS file and calculates
the difference between the font sizes, and adjusts the monospace font
to bring it more in line with proportional fonts if there's any
difference.

Do you see the reduction in size compared to the live site an issue?
I'm wondering if there's a better way to determine the correct size.
Even when the monospace fonts are the exact pixel size of the
in Firefox on Ubuntu.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion