Re: Generalized edit function?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Generalized edit function?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Anyway, if it's ASCII-only, that's a guaranteed way to make sure it
> isn't taken seriously.

Pre-9.1 levenshtein is ASCII-only, and I think some of the other stuff
in contrib/fuzzystrmatch still is.  We had to work pretty hard to
avoid a massive performance loss when we made it multi-byte aware, and
IIRC there is still a pretty significant performance loss if any
multibyte characters are actually present.  But at least now it
doesn't return totally bogus answers.

So I have some sympathy with the OP's desire not to burden himself
with the non-ASCII case if he doesn't need it for his application, but
I also agree with your point that we probably wouldn't accept code
into contrib that doesn't.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company