Re: Why does my DB size differ between Production and DR? (Postgres 8.4)

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Why does my DB size differ between Production and DR? (Postgres 8.4)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1 February 2011 03:52, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can reclaim that space by doing a cluster or vacuum full on the
> subject table.

Yes, but this is a fairly bad idea, particularly prior to PG 9.0 . 9.0
has a new vacuum full implementation that makes it not so bad - it
just rewrites the entire table.

VACUUM FULL will take exclusive locks on tables being vacuumed. It
also causes index bloat. You should be very careful about using it on
a production system.

I'm not sure why you'd advocate CLUSTER as a way to reclaim disk space.

I wouldn't increase index fill factor as an optimisation, unless you
had the unusual situation of having very static data in the table.

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: Why does my DB size differ between Production and DR? (Postgres 8.4)
Сообщение: Re: Why does my DB size differ between Production and DR? (Postgres 8.4)