Re: How does PG know if data is in memory?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: How does PG know if data is in memory?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:11 PM,  <gnuoytr@rcn.com> wrote:
> An approach that works can be found in DB2, and likely elsewhere.
>
> The key is that tablespaces/tables/indexes/buffers are all attached through the bufferpool (the DB2 term).  A
tablespace/bufferpoolmatch is defined.  Then tables and indexes are assigned to the tablespace (and implicitly, the
bufferpool). As a result, one can effectively pin data in memory.  This is very useful, but not low hanging fruit to
implement.

> The introduction of rudimentary tablespaces is a first step.  I assumed that the point was to get to a DB2-like
structureat some point.  Yes?

We already have tablespaces, and our data already is accessed through
the buffer pool.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Mladen Gogala
Сообщение: Re: Slow count(*) again...
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Runtime dependency from size of a bytea field