Re: Links to previous and future versions of documentation

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: Links to previous and future versions of documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 18 May 2010 14:31, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> On 05/17/2010 10:21 AM, Cédric Villemain wrote:
>> 2010/5/17 Rob Wultsch <wultsch@gmail.com>:
>>> Howdy all,
>>> I am  a MySQL DBA and very much like how the web based MySQL
>>> documentation links to previous and future versions of the same page.
>>> As an example on the documentation on the INSERT command for 5.1
>>> (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/insert.html) there are link on
>>> the left hand side to the same document for version the 3.23/4.0/4.1,
>>> 5.0. 5.4, and 5.5.
>>>
>>> I find the lack of this feature on the Postgres web site slightly
>>> annoying and would be willing to help implement it. I was thinking
>>> that it could fit in well with the breadcrumbs at the top.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> linking between docs of each stable versions like proposed seems
>> interesting for me.
>
> what would you do for stuff that is completely rearranged or
> removed/added in newer/older versions?

Yes, plus not to mention all the extra overhead that would go into
maintaining the links when new releases are being produced.  It seems
like a lot of work just to compare versions.  Plus I much prefer
PostgreSQL's clean and uncluttered documentation.  I rarely need to
compare versions, and really, if I ever wanted to, I'd change the URL:

For example: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-createtable.html

I'd change the 9.0 to 8.2 to see the same thing for that version:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-createtable.html

But as Stefan said, some things are moved around and separated into
other sections.  It doesn't seem worth it.

Regards

Thom

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Links to previous and future versions of documentation
Сообщение: Re: Links to previous and future versions of documentation